The gift of time...

It has been a typically busy week.... Yesterday and today were supposed to be especially crazy.  Yesterday I started the day in a grumpy mood because I didn't get much sleep (random lengthy awakenings by numerous children during the night), and I was overwhelmed at all that need to be done.  I struggled through the morning trying to determine what things "had to be done" and what I might be able to skip.  The afternoon wouldn't offer much time for getting things done either... then we had to be a church by  5:15. 

BUT around 4 I noticed Alice wasn't running around the house chasing her sisters.... her cheeks were rosy and she was quiet on my bed.  She had a fever...

At first I was really agitated. Great... another sick child and now I can't go to church. But as I resigned myself to the change in plans, I realized it wasn't all bad.  I now had some extra time.....

I had a whole list of things I needed to do.... and now a little extra time to tackle some of that.  It almost felt like a gift: a quieter (not quiet because Sadie stayed home with Alice and me also) evening at home!

I strung baby bracelets, printed, cut, and packaged business cards for my sister, placed a bead order, and wrote some thank you notes... Not bad!  I regretted not being at church to help Jeremy with the youth group, but all in all it really was a good evening in spite of Alice not feeling good...

Well, today was supposed to be the other crazy day.... well, Alice is still sick.  That has significant implications for today also: no homeschooling, no fussing over getting everyone dressed (we won't be going anywhere), and no heading to Kansas this evening.

That last part is the kicker.... we were planning on leaving for KS tonight so that I could take some newborn pictures for a friend.  I'm really bummed about that part... I was looking forward to seeing her, seeing family, and also attending some of  the homecoming celebration at our college there in town. 

BUT once again... to try and focus on the positive... I now have some unexpected time at home on my hands, 2 days actually.  I've decided to appreciate it and use it.  It will be nice to just be at home, especially after a long week and a busy past weekend.

To fit our lazy sick day, we're all in our P.J.s.  The girls received a gift from their Grandma: matching fleece leopard print footies.  Now if that isn't the perfect thing for a day like today :)  This slow, cool, unexpected day feels good for a change...  Thank you Lord for the unexpected break.  You know what I need,  better than I do.  Help me to breath you in.... recharge and be grateful.  You are good, so good... and you take care of me. 



Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10 11 12
Blogging tips